A TED Circle is an interactive experience where we meet-up for conversations about ideas. Think of it as a book club for TED Talks where you’re invited to discuss our current topic, learn new things and meet like minded people. While we readjust to the 'new-normal' in Melbourne, we’re keeping this one digital until we can see you in person again soon!
Topic - Optimism
Hosts - Jon Yeo & Joanne Woo - Co-Curators, TEDxMelbourne
Please watch this featured talk before the TED Circle: The optimism bias, Tali Sharot
Are we born to be optimistic, rather than realistic? Tali Sharot shares new research that suggests our brains are wired to look on the bright side -- and how that can be both dangerous and beneficial.
Think positive, we are told, and good things will happen. Some people believe that if you have low expectations, you will never be disappointed. Where is the balance between optimism and naivety?
In this TED Circle we will unpack optimism and talk about the concepts of optimism bias, negativity vs positive thinking and whether faith that things will turn out okay leads to success … Or setting yourself up for failure.
Please watch the talk below before the TED Circle for insights into the topic, then register to join our next event and be a part of this conversation.
How to Participate:
1. Register to join the discussion (via our Website/ Humanitix)
2. Watch the Featured Talk (see link above/ video below)
3. Join the event via Zoom on Wednesday 27 October 2021
4. Listen to the curated discussion on the theme, and then join the smaller breakout groups of attendees to contribute your own thoughts with other attendees.
Don't forget to share your experience online by using the hashtag #TEDxMelbourne on your preferred social network, and tagging us!
Places are limited so register today.
* This will be recorded and may be used by TEDxMelbourne for marketing and promotional purposes. Also, by participating in this event you agree to abide by Zoom’s Acceptable Use Policy, which can be found here.