A TED Circle is an interactive experience where we meet-up for conversations about ideas. Think of it as a book club for TED Talks where you’re invited to discuss our current topic, learn new things and meet like minded people. While we readjust to the 'new-normal' in Melbourne, we’re keeping this one digital until we can see you in person again soon!
Topic - Exploration
Hosts - Jon Yeo & Joanne Woo - Co-Curators, TEDxMelbourne
Please watch this featured talk before the TED Circle: I let algorithms randomise my life for two years – Max Hawkins
As a species, we often admire our explorers. Their adventures and achievements inspire us as a society to go further or push harder. Yet as individuals, we often have a personal limit to what that boundary is and how far out of our comfort zone we are prepared to go. It’s very easy from the privilege of our own homes to judge or assess the extent of our own physical and mental journey and how hard and far we push ourselves. In this TED Circle session, we’ll explore our own limits to what is possible. Let’s unpack this concept to discover and re-discover parts of ourselves we thought we would not visit (again).
What if everything in your life was randomised: from the food you ate to the things you did and the places you travelled? Computer scientist Max Hawkins created algorithms to make decisions like these for him -- and got hooked on the experience for two years. He shares how relinquishing choice sent him across the world and opened him up to the beautiful complexity and richness of life. It makes you wonder: What lies just outside your comfort zone?
Please watch the Featured Talk before the TED Circle for insights into the topic, then register to join our next event and be a part of this conversation.
How to Participate:
1. Register to join the discussion (via our Website/ Humanitix)
2. Watch the Featured Talk (see link above/video below)
3. Join the event via Zoom on Wednesday 24 November 2021
4. Listen to the curated discussion on the theme, and then join the smaller breakout groups of attendees to contribute your own thoughts with other attendees.
Don't forget to share your experience online by using the hashtag #TEDxMelbourne on your preferred social network, and tagging us!
Places are limited so register today.
* This will be recorded and may be used by TEDxMelbourne for marketing and promotional purposes. Also, by participating in this event you agree to abide by Zoom’s Acceptable Use Policy, which can be found here.