A TED Circle is an interactive experience where we meet-up for conversations about ideas. In this present space, we’re taking it digital.
Think of it as a book club for TED Talks where you’re invited to discuss our current topic, learn new things and meet like minded people.
Topic - Irrational
Host - Jon Yeo - Head of Curation, TEDxMelbourne
Please watch this featured talk before the TED Circle: Why you think you're right, by Julia Galef
Have you ever been told you’re ‘being irrational?” Which emotions did this bring out in you? Have you ever considered another person and their opinions as irrational? What does being irrational actually involve and mean? In this TED Circle we unpack unconscious bias, understanding ourselves and finding ways to be truly effective in our reactions to others.
Perspective is everything, especially when it comes to examining your beliefs. Are you a soldier, prone to defending your viewpoint at all costs -- or a scout, spurred by curiosity? Julia Galef examines the motivations behind these two mindsets and how they shape the way we interpret information, interweaved with a compelling history lesson from 19th-century France. When your steadfast opinions are tested, Galef asks: "What do you most yearn for? Do you yearn to defend your own beliefs or do you yearn to see the world as clearly as you possibly can?"
In this current climate, we look at where denial conversations fit along with sustainability and science related research questions as we explore our assumptions, values, standards and laws. Join us as we talk through ideas on what irrational means and how the concept could be important to our future.
Connect with your TEDxMelbourne community as we discuss and explore the topic of irrationality. Register to join our next TED Circle and be a part of this conversation.
How to Participate:
1. Register to join the discussion (via our Website/ Eventbrite)
2. Watch the Featured Talk (see link above/ video below)
3. Join the event via Zoom on Monday 30 August 2021
4. Listen to the curated discussion on the theme, and then join the smaller breakout groups of attendees to contribute your own thoughts with other attendees.
Don't forget to share your experience online by using the hashtag #TEDxMelbourne on your preferred social network, and tagging us!
Places are limited so register today.
* This will be recorded and may be used by TEDxMelbourne for marketing and promotional purposes. Also, by participating in this event you agree to abide by Zoom’s Acceptable Use Policy, which can be found here.